To go along with my inspired attitude I have decided to try and complete 1 daily random act of kindness. Not sure how I will fair but I am going to do my best. I started this week as a test and out of 5 days I committed 3 ‘kind’ acts. I am loosely defining what an act of kindness could be. Below are some kind acts I perpetrated:
– Stopped behind car in front enough to allow traffic to enter/exit gas station on neighborhood road. (Was rewarded when the kids in the car in front yelled out the window my car’s name ((I have a personalized plate) too cute.)
– Bought lunch for a couple of friends.
– Brought in heart-shaped banana bread muffins to work.
I count acts while driving, since I do not feel it is my obligation to let folks in, stop and wait behind you while you drop off someone, etc…but I will try to minimize these because I think I can do better. If you have any creative ideas that are spontaneous and would work online, send them on. I work from home 2-3 days a week and there are times where I don’t get out of the house all day. I want to come up with things I can do that are different and don’t always require me to give money. For example, I asked a friend to critique my revised resume and I plan to give them a gift certificate for a massage. I know they are unsuspecting and I got the idea by asking their spouse, so I will count that but I want them to be a bit spontaneous.
Why am I keeping track?
1. It makes me feel good to do something for someone else and I want to be reminded of that emotion. I sometimes forget that I am a good person, this will help me remember.
2. It gets back to my mantra to do more/help more. I want to build this in so it becomes a part of my daily habits to the extent that I notice when I don’t do it.
Do you commit random acts of kindness?